Monday, December 21, 2009

Off Track Already...

I cannot wait for this damned holiday season to be over! So much focus is put on food and eating durring this season. If I see another cookie or pie I may just have to be sick!

Now, prior to surgery, my downfall was sweets. Cookies, cakes, chocolate, ice cream. They all had my number, and I loved each one fully, and without prejudice. They were my comfort in times of stress or sadness. They were my friend, and always there.


No matter what they tell you about not being able to tolerate sugar, (especially with the RNY bypass) everyone is different. Each body reacts differently to sugar, and as your healing progresses and you are further into your recovery, the more your body will tolerate. Sugar included.


For my first bout with sugar was with a protein cereal about 10 weeks or so after surgery. It ended poorly, and I was in excruciating pain for hours. 1/2c of this cereal... I think it was 9g or 11g of sugar per serving. Coupled with the sugar from my Silk (as I found I wasn't as dairy tolerant as I thought I was). It was a disaster.


Further on it got easier. I was able to tolerate the natural sugars, honey... fruit sugars, and eventually refined sugar. Cookies, pies, chocolate and ice cream... my friends were finally back in town.


I found that the stress or sadness I experienced had never left, and that I was able to tolerate my comforters again. I found that it was easy to derail yourself... one cookie at a time. Not to mention I looove to bake, and that my mum's business is "Angie's Sweet Treats". Not that it's an excuse, but it is defiantly a contributor.

So for the summary to all of this nonsense, I have a resolution for the new year. To get my dumb ass back on track and stop lollygagging about, and screwing up my goals. Refined sugar, to hell with you. New gym, at least twice a week (now that I have school in the evenings again).


I'm 5 months post op and have only lost 70 pounds. I'm proud of where I am, but I know I can do better. And my streamlining my nutritional intake (again) I hope to regain a loss of 10-15 pounds a month for the next 6 or 7 months.


So here's to the chicken fatoosh salad, and unsweetened ice tea I'm having for lunch.


Time to get myself in gear.

XX

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for putting a voice to my own experiences with sugar. I have had intense cravings suddenly and no dumping. I gave in to it hoping it would go away but it hasn't. I feel stronger knowing others have experienced this too.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete