Saturday, October 3, 2009

Too long.

So, I see it's been over a month since I've posted here. Life has been busy, and I have been lazy <3 walah... guess that's the trick.

As for food...

I've found that I can no longer tolerate the protein shakes... they make me want to vomit after one sip :( However, I have been cleared by my dietitian for protein bars!!! So happy.. Below is the bar I've found most satisfying!

Protein Plus - High Protein Bar - Reduced Sugar | POWERBAR
22g Protein. 1g Sugar.
http://www.strongernutrition.com/Products/Protein-Plus-High-Protein-Bars-200106.aspx

Peanut Butter with chocolate. I can only eat about half a bar at a time, they're very dense. But delicious! And full of the protein that we so desperately need.

In addition, I've been cleared for nuts as well, peanut, cashews, almonds, walnuts... here I come!!!

It takes care of that "I need a crunchy salty snack" feeling... My personal favorite is cashews with sea salt.

As for food on the go... Wendy's Chili is still a big favorite!!! I still sneak a fry or two from Steven... but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone <3 quesadillas are great! cheese and chicken with some peppers and a crisp tortilla. also (from Ram's Horn) the Chicken and Cheese wrap, with the low fat Italian dressing. Has chicken, cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce in a crisp tortilla a wrap.

About two weeks ago I was also cleared for salads... so far I've only dove into a grilled chicken salad (that consisted of chicken, cheese, lettuce and tomato, with low fat Italian dressing) but it was a little heaven on earth. Kinda getting back to what I REALLY loved to eat pre-op!

Oatmeal is still a favorite... plain with splenda. Special K has a protein enriched cereal!!! It's great!!! TRY IT!!!! and for my sweet snack, I have a handful of LIFE cereal, dry.

Laughing Cow, light, spreadable cheese... plain or with reduced fat crackers... YUMMY! Get low fat dressing... learn to like spices and herbs... you're going to need variation, because the same thing gets boring (especially chicken)

If you have a Target near you and like fun nut combinations... look for "True North" in their snack isle. my favorites so far are the Pecan Almond Peanut Clusters, and Citrus Burst Not Clusters (which taste like PB&J... soo yummy!) They also have peanut butter blended with different things (ie, cinnamon, cranberry vanilla, and dark chocolate) all have pretty low sugar... and I picked up the cinnamon one yesterday... I'll let you know how it goes.

For portion control.. get smaller bowls... get smaller plates!!! I get the little "dessert" bowls... they're great for cereal in the morning... (because if you're anything like me and loooooove a HUGE bowl of crunchy cereal in the morning... It's a life saver for portion control)

I hate to say this... but post surgery... it's really all about food. What can I eat... how much... and if you though you were food obsessed prior to surgery... prepare for a 10 fold increase.

So... that's what's been going on food wise the last month or so... PS. Scrambled eggs still make me sick, as well as ANY CHINESE FOOD! Chicken and Veggies, Chinese style... equal much pain!!! Just avoid it! Also... I'm sure you know, but avoid dry chicken... it sucks!

I'm wearing a size 22 jeans right now... haven't ventured to see if I can fit the 20's yet.... The hard thing is really mentally accepting what's happening to your body. If you're like me (and I'm sure many people have similar stories to mine) It's a yo-yo with the scale... up a pound, down two, up three... for MANY years.... then all of a sudden you're losing 2 pounds... then three... then five.... all of a sudden you've lost 50 (me so far!!!) and you can't really wrap your head around it. I thought I was going to be able to... and it's much harder than I thought.

I was getting into the shower last weekend, and saw myself naked in front of the mirror (something which I regularly avoid) and it kinda hit me... My body is changing!!!! It's different... I have hips!!! It's something that you don't see as much as others do... because face it.. .if they're not living with you they're not seeing you everyday... and losing pound by pound doesn't make much a difference if you're watching it everyday... but if that someone doesn't see you for 3 or 4 weeks... and you've dropped 15 or 20 pounds... they're the one who has the shock and awe...

Perhaps that is enough of my thoughts for one day.

As always, that's for reading... I hope my experiences can help someone out there..

Much love,
Amanda XO

No comments:

Post a Comment